Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is it possible to catch HIV from manicures/pedicures?

I just has a mani and pedi done 3 days ago and a few hours before I had my toes done, I had cut my ankle pretty bad while shaving. I had 2 bandages over it, but there was also another cut on my ankle that wasn't covered. Anyway, do you think it's possible to catch HIV or any other serious disease from a foot bath? Also, when I got my fingernails done, The woman accidentally cut me with a cuticle cutter. My cuticle bled pretty bad and it still bled a tiny bit a few hours later. I washed my hands like 5 or so minutes after she cut me. Then she continued on my nails. I don't know how long after, But when she was done I wiped that finger with a wipe. She repainted that nail too. Since it was their nail polish, Do you think I could get a disease if the polish went into the cut? A few hours later I put bactine on the cut and a band-aid as well. As for the cut on my foot, I washed that cut hours later that night and I think I put bactine on that too.Is it possible to catch HIV from manicures/pedicures?
Yikes! Way too much blood for the manicure/pedicure salon! While the transmission of HIV would literally require your open wounds to come into contact with live virus (we would have to assume unclean instruments that had RECENTLY come into contact with HIV), it is, theoretically possible. You would, however, be at risk for many other infections (bacterial, fungal) with your open wounds as these are common at manicure/pedicure salons regardless of open wounds. Hope this helps!





By the way, if you have any concern, ever, that you may have come in contact with HIV - please get tested!Is it possible to catch HIV from manicures/pedicures?
thanks, you just made me not want to go to the nail salon.
probably not





hiv is spread through contact with infected needles





sex





there are some small other instances but i can almost 99% guarantee u wouldn't have got it
HIV and other bloodborne pathogens can be caught in this matter. ANYthing that can cut - is called a sharps in the medical profession. If the salon does not use reputable sterilizing methods - example, an autoclave - it could be possible to transfer infections from one client to another. Ask questions - do they sterilize their equipment between clients?





The health risks associated with the beauty industry include viral infections such as HIV, hepatitis B and C, and warts; bacterial infections such as staphylococcus, streptococcus, and psuedomonas; fungal infections such as athlete鈥檚 foot, nail fungus and yeast; reactions to nail, hair and facial products such as hand eczema, eyelid dermatitis, chemical burns, and loss of hair or nails; toxicity from acrylic and lacquer fumes; inappropriate use of chemical peeling solutions; and the delayed diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer and other skin diseases because of failure to refer clients.





Just google - HIV and nail salons. I do not mean to burst anyone's bubble, but this is quite possible.
.I was listening to a news article this last year on nail salon's.


It is recommended that you purchase all your own items needed nail clippers, toenail clippers, files, cuticle cutter and polish and remover, etc. Put them all in a special bag for just that purpose, and have them use your tools on you each time you are there. You do use your own tooth brush and comb, don't you? You sound as though, you are in a panic on this though. Check with your family physician and family and explain the situation, get tested to relieve your fears. If you do


prove positive, and the salon charged you for the procedure,


they can be sued.


Years back, when I was at an airport. I never had a shave


with a straight razor before, so I spent the extra money just


for the experience if it. I was cut on the chin during the shave,


so they refused to charge me. When I told this to the person


sitting next to me. He told me if he had charged me. I could


have him sued.


So if you do test positive, sue the hell out of them.
no offense.. but please GO INFORM yourself. i hate questions like this!


but to answer it anyway no its not possible. HIV is transferred through blood transfusion, needles
Not HIV, but definitely Hepatitis C is a risk factor. I don't think in your situation it is a problem. The golden rules are don't share your nail clippers, razors or tooth brush. It is possible to catch a fungus of sorts at some of these places just pay attention to their sterilization process. The facts can be found at the National Institute of Health website.
I don't think so. If it was a transfusion of blood, yes. But I am always wondering about these places doing manicure and pedicure. They do not clean the scissors or clippers the roper way. I have seen them cleanings them with the same water you put your feet on.

No comments:

Post a Comment